Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Approximately two weeks ago due to a downed power line, we

Customer Question

Approximately two weeks ago due to a downed power line, we lost our electricity and the generator failed to go on. A conversation with the lineman repairing the electrical line informed me that we lost one leg of our two twenty service leaving us with 110 volts to the house. It was after that that we noticed it was not exercising by itself. Once the electricity was returned I found that the generator was not running I tried to turn it on manually . It would run for five seconds , turn to turn on again and turned off in five seconds. At this time I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter, replaced the air filter, replaced the spark plug and checked the battery and attempted to start the generator to no avail. The previous situation still existed. Turned it on ran for five seconds, shut off
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: The unit is natural gas and all other natural gas items in the house are fine.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: IF possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The engine starts reasonably quickly runs, gets rough and stops. Almost like a fuel problem.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

It is possible that a short or voltage surge may have occurred damaging the generator itself internally with one of its electronics being damaged internally.I have seen this before in some cases and had to have the electronics tested on it to locate the failed component needing replaced.Unfortunately for me from here this is difficult to diagnose to pinpoint which component is the cause here for sure without seeing and testing this model.It would be best to have this tested by a repair technician that has access to the testing info here.If this is not an option for you let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete