Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a onan marguis 5500 bgm. replaced carb. turned it on

Customer Question

I have a onan marguis 5500 bgm. replaced carb. turned it on and after about 5 mins with a/c on, it starts surging and then shuts off
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yea its below half tank and i'm assuming valve is open. not sure what valve your referring too?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have been up to this point but I'm not opposed to taking it in
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That gas in tank has been in a few months. but before I replaced the carb it was doing the same thing. I tried starting it before replacing carb and it won't start
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Pete replied 24 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect and see if any components are restricting the air flow into the engine.This can cause this type of fault here as I have seen before.If this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
This generator is in an rv so the bay is pretty open. I don't believe it has restricted air flow but I can check it and let you know. I am going to check fuel flow from fuel pump also. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for getting back with me
Expert:  Pete replied 24 days ago.

Your welcome

Low fuel flow can cause this as well as restricted air flow in some cases.I know on some models the carb. jet can be replaced for different altitudes but my info doesnt show this for sure on your model here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Let me try the fuel flow and look at air flow and I'll probably have you call me. Talk to you in a bit. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 24 days ago.

Unfortunately I wont be able to place a call on this here myself but I can continue here.If you request a call I can either opt out for others to help or others will also see either way that you have requested a call and may call on this here.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Ok.I will try those things I mentioned and see if your still on. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 24 days ago.

Your welcome