Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I own a model 524. Went to start it up today and the

Customer Question

I own a model 524. Went to start it up today and the governor is not working. It's running full out. I started it up 2 months ago and it was fine. Should I be removing the cover and checking to see if a spring broke?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Brand new fuel. Drained it completely. Even cleaned the screen before putting new fuel in and a little carb cleaner with it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Just out of warranty. I'm pretty skilled on working on small engines. Even had to rebore the piston on a Briggs engine. So, I'm not afraid of this task. My problem is that I have no info on this engine. It's like a trade secret.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. The machine is kept in pristine order with a cover on it in the garage. All recommended maintenance performed at end of season.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is the engine make and model number? Sounds like governor spring is off or broken.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
208cc OHV cub engine. Cannot find model # on engine; just Serial #. Snow Thrower model 524WE. I know what the engine model # is supposed to begin with, but no such numbers listed on engine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told that the fee is $5. I can take a cover over myself and look at the spring.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not the spring. I got the cover off and the spring is fine and moves with the lever with the throttle properly.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By the way, that's a rotten way they put that cover on with the one bolt under inside the belt housing and mounted behind the discharge shoot support.

Let me opt out. Maybe someone else can help. Sorry.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Can you get to the throttle hook up on the carburetor and start it and if you manually push the linkage back will ot lower the rpms

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The hook moves back and forth just like it's supposed to as you move the throttle. The engine either runs like it would when it's running out of gas, or will stop when you put the throttle into the stop position. It starts first pull, too. I also sprayed WD40 on the linkage. The way that the engine is covered, I can only see where the hook connects to the throttle and not over the carb. It's a timely process to get that cover off as you have to remove the belt cover, too and the bolts to the chute support just to get the last bolt out. Since the engine prime bulb works fine and I ran the engine for a few minutes, I know that it's not starving for gas. It appears to be running faster than even the maximum speed it is allowed to. I wish that I could get a diagram of the carb, etc. Unlike Briggs, Cub seems to be stingy with engine info.
Ok , don't keep running it I had a older cub here that did that and ended up breaking the connecting rod , the problem is cub who is owned by mtd uses cheaper clone engines vs briggs but let me see what I can find
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The real problem is that Tecumseh went out of business and the snow blower gang was forced to find alternative engines. I wonder if I can somehow (if I could see it) drop and clean out the bowl of the carb and check the needle valves if that would fix it. I'm guessing that even though I run the engine dry, as advised, some fuel was left in the carb and it's gummed it up somehow.

The engine us a powermore and researchin more it looks to be a lot engine , look at the attached pdf , I do think your carburetor could be partially blocked . On most of these there's a center jet that unscrew that has 8 to 10 pin sized holes in it .

Let me know if that's your engine

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. It looks close. Obviously, no air filter. No plastic part on carb, that I know of. So, you think that I should get a carb rebuild kit and find a way to take the bowl off and clean it up? I'll try. What do I have to lose? I did put carb cleaner in the tank, but it doesn't seem to have done any good, except that it started/starts fine. This is not an easy engine to work on like the Briggs and the Tecumseh's. My friend bought a Troy Built and left fuel in it over the winter. It wouldn't even start the next year. I always keep cleaner, dry gas and Stabil in the gas and run it. This is very sad.
Honestly I'd drain the gas and remove the carburetor and then take the bowl off to see if it has that main jet .

With the stabil are you premix in it in the gas can

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will do. All of the gas is fresh today with no additives except the carb cleaner as I just wanted to get it running. I try not to leave any gas in the machine for longer than a month or two and use the Stabil only if I have too much in it. I'll work on the carb bowl tomorrow. Thanks again!
Ok , I use carburetor cleaner and a sowing needle to clear the ports in the jets
It's not uncommon for a partially clogged carburetor to either sputter or take off as in high rpms . Your right that when tecumseh went down it was the end of the best snowblower engines . The problem now is this gas only stays good 3 months or so due to the additives etc.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Took the carb apart today as much as I could. Blew out the ports with compressed air and then carb cleaner. Also sprayed all of the governor and throttle linkages. Didn't make any difference. Engine starts right up and won't run any other speed but full out or off. The carb bowl was clean, too, as was the needle valve and the float. I've run out of options. Thanks for all of your help.
When it's running can you manually move the govenor rod to slow it down ?