JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a huskee model 608 that runs for awhile then

Customer Question

I have a huskee model 608 that runs for awhile then something locks up, it stops moving and the belt doesn't move and it starts smoking at the moter pully? Any idea what's happening and what I can do. I have spend $500 paying two shops to try and repair it. All the belts have been replaced.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes there is fuel in the tank, put there is not shut off valve. I have a new filter and 93 gas
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know, that's why I ASKING FOR YOUR HELP.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Is it the transmission drive belts that lock up or the mower deck belt?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The transmission drive belt

The first thing that I would look at is the drive pulleys, idler pulleys, variable speed pulley on the machine. It sounds like you have a pulley that is locking up which in turn causes the machine to not move or the belts to stop turning. The most likely cause is the variable speed pulley, when it locks you will smoke the belt at the engine pulley and the drive will stop working.

If you would like a diagram of the system I can provide one for you, however I will need the full model number and serial number from the machine.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I HAVE ALREADY SENT ONE REPLAY AND HAVE NOT A RECEIVED AN ANSWER. I HAVE CHECKED THE PULLEY AND THEY DO NOT SEEM TO BE LOCKING UP. IS IT POSSIBLE THE IT IS THE BEARING GOING INTO THE TRANSMISSION. SINCE IT RUNS FOR AWHILE BEFORE IT LOCKS UP, COULD THAT BE HEATING UP CAUSING THE LOCK UP.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it could be the input shaft bearing going into the top of the transmission. I have seen fewer issues with it that what I have the variable speed pulley bearings however. That is why I suggested checking the idler pulleys and variable speed pulley first.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it's the bearing, how difficult is it to replace?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

If it is the input shaft bearing on the transmission you will have to remove the transmission from the machine, split the transmission in half by removing the top cover, remove the input pulley and shaft then you can drive the old bearing out and replace it with a new one. It is not extremely hard but can be time consuming.