Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Craftsman Riding Mower Model#917.28726 runs fine

Customer Question

My Craftsman Riding Mower Model#917.28726 runs fine forawhile and then the fuel seems to get chocked off. I've replaced the fuel filter but still does this. I suspicion that something is floating around in the fuel tank and gets sucked into the intake chocking off the fuel. Whenit sits for awhile it willthen start and run for awhile.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, yes, I think that the fuel tank has something in it that clogs the fuel flow.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of to tell you.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 25 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me approximately how long the machine runs before you start to have trouble with it?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 25 days ago.

Does it have to sit for 5 minutes or several hours before it will restart and run again?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Several Minutes
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 25 days ago.

The first thing that I would suggest is to try running it with the fuel cap loose or off of the tank. Most of these machines have a tank vent built into the fuel cap and sometimes this vent becomes stopped up and will not allow air to enter the tank therefore it creates a vacuum inside the tank and will not allow fuel to flow out of the tank.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I'll try that tomorrow
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 25 days ago.

Let me know what happens and if you still need additional assistance we can continue our conversation here.