Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

With 18 horse Honda V-twin engine...Turning key to start

Customer Question

Hustler with 18 horse Honda V-twin engine...Turning key to start engine will not turn over...Battery has 12.7 volts and replaced to relay modules...Still will not turn over....any suggestions...
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel in tank and cclean...Starter will not turn
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I have no way to get mower to shop
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Earlier in season you would have to turn key switch several times for starter to engage
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is the battery voltage when you turn key to start? If it stays above 9 volts, battery , cables, and starter ok.. Remove the spark plugs and see if engine will now spin, may have liquid on top of a piston. If voltage drops at battery below 8 volts, battery , cables or starter is bad.

If no voltmeter, go direct to the starter solenoid, and jump the battery terminal to the single switch wire n the same solenid, and see if engine cranks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Voltmeter shows no change stays at 12.7 shorting wire from positive on battery to small red wire on starter and motor wil turn and start

OK, check the switch wire voltage from keyswitch to the solenoid, when you turn key to start. Do you get battery voltage to the switch wire? May be a bad key switch.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That shows 15 volts

15 volts? at the starter solenoid switch terminal? If so, replace the solenoid!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok headed to shop to get solonoid

OK>

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I put new key switch in still won't trigger starter...Went to get solonoid and local dealer doesn't have one...Is I bypass key switch go straight to battery it will spin starter...Could the solonoid still be bad

If keyswitch sends voltage to the solenoid, and the solenoid does not close, solenoid is bad,

Any auto supply should carry a mower solenoid/relay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will check thanks

OK>