JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

How does crankshaft bearings get oil to the rod and upper

Customer Question

how does crankshaft bearings get oil to the rod and upper crank bearing on 17.5 intek engine?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: model 33p777 probably 5yrs
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: engine came unglued broke rod and case. we are trying to figure out the oil system since there are no oil passages other than from oil pump to lower crank bearing
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just would like to see lube diagram
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 25 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It is pressurize lubed. There is a passage that goes from the oil pan up along the side of the engine block and over to the top crank bearing, the crankshaft has a small passage from the top bearing surface down to the connecting rod bearing, the lower bearing surface is fed directly from the oil pump to it.

I will see if I can find a picture or diagram that actually shows the oil system for this engine. It may take me a little while to find one as I am not even certain that there is one available but I will see if I can find anything for you.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 25 days ago.

I have found a little information in the service manual for the engine however it does not show a really good picture of the oil system. I am including a link to the manual and you will find the information on page 120 that explains the oil system.

http://faculty.missouri.edu/~schumacherl/276781SingleCylinderOHV.pdf

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.