Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 10 kw generator. tries to start, shuts down on

Customer Question

I have a 10 kw generator. tries to start , shuts down on overchrank. noticed choke stays closed. unplug wire for choke, it will start
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a generac 10 kw Mod. #0058710
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you need a phone #(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was told it would be in 8 minutes , that was at 4:29
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
If you don't know ,could just let me know.It has been a day
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Is there anyone there. I think I have allready paid for this
Expert:  Hank F. replied 29 days ago.

What is the serial number of the genset?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Has new plugs and air filter.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 28 days ago.

Is the choke cycling open and closed while the engine is cranking, or does it just stay closed?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
it closes but does not open back up right away, failing on over chrank
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
But if I disconnect the choke it will start
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have been waiting for a email on your reply. Did not know I had to log into the web site.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It is like what ever is controling the choke is not opening soon enough and flooding out
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
when it tries to start the choke closes it starts cranking , the choke opens for less than a second then closes again and then shuts down on over chrank
Expert:  Hank F. replied 24 days ago.

OK. First check to see if you can manually move the choke. It should move freely, with no sticking or binding.

Next, unplug the choke solenoid. Set a meter to read DCV.

On the female side of the plug, the side going back to the controller, connect the red meter lead to wire 14, and the black meter lead to wire 90.

Set the switch to MANUAL. You should see voltage for about 2 seconds, and then no voltage for about 2 seconds, and it should repeat.

Next, set your meter to ohms. On the male side of the plug, connect one meter lead to each pin. It does not matter which lead goes to which pin. You should get a reading of 3.7 ohms.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Power to the wire for 2 seconds , power off for less than a second then on for 2 seconds. the generator starts with out the wire on. 45 deg. outside temp..coil is 3.2 ohms. the choke moves freely.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 22 days ago.

That choke is staying closed for too long. The choke is powered directly by the controller.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I Know thats what I have been saying
Expert:  Hank F. replied 21 days ago.

By what is happening, I would say the controller is bad.

I have been a Generac technician for almost 15 years, and have never seen a controller fail like that.

It does not make sense why the unit would only run with the choke solenoid disconnected. The unit should still run even if the choke is fully closed. That is how the low speed exercise works, by closing the choke to make the engine run slower.

It looks like you are going to need to replace the controller.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The unit does not have a low speed exercise , yes the choke is controlled by the main board. I knew that .Is there a way to reset the controller .
Expert:  Hank F. replied 20 days ago.

Yes, this unit can be set up for low speed exercise.

No, there is no way to reset the controller.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I think I hit the call me by by accident . I do not want the call.