Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Wheelhorse with Kohler Model KT17 QS engine. Less

Customer Question

I have a Wheelhorse with Kohler Model KT17 QS engine. Less than 10 volts output to battery. Voltage Regulator Problem?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: This is a 1986 model. No problem in the past
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It all depends on how involved it will be
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can charge the battery to get the engine started, but battery tends to loose voltage after running for awhile. Measuring the voltage across he battery when the engine is running remains around or just under 10 volts
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 25 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 25 days ago.

Measure voltage from the stator to the voltage regulator, with regulator unplugged and running full speed. Reading has to be above 28 volts AC ..If it is the regulator output needs to checked and should produce at least 14 volts DC from rectifier. Usually stator will test ok, and it turns out to e the regulator/rectifier/

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 19 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you get to check the charging system?