Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Troy bilt blower sparks when the plug is out and grounded on

Customer Question

troy bilt blower sparks when the plug is out and grounded on the top of the cylinder head. but with the spark plug hole filled the plug will not fire when grounded and under compression.I,ve never seen this happen before
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about a week
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: if I use starter fluid in the exhaust port and spin the engine over with plug in place nothing happens when the plug is grounded on top of the head it will spark. ???
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past? What confuses you?
Customer: three years old always worked well
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

With spark plug removed, hold finger over spark plug hole and see if you have compression. No compression , engine will not fire on gas or starting fluid! You may have a valve stuck open.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do the troy bilt 2 strokes have reed valves, if so how do I get to them ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

No, if this is two cycle,it has no valves, a lack of compression would be a bad piston/rings. Compression needs to be around 140 psi.