Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at Rhode Island Harvesting Co
96417199

I have a Poulan P3314 14 inch chainsaw and I see there is a

Customer Question

Hi I have a Poulan P3314 14 inch chainsaw and I see there is a type 1 and type 2, can you tell me what the difference is
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if I know what the difference is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The saw will not start I have replaced the carburetor the fuel lines and the fuel bulb and spark plug and it still will not start
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: I am getting fuel to the cylinder
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bill McCusker replied 4 months ago.

hello welcome to Just answers my name is***** see if we can solve this together. Give me a min to check this over

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do get a spark but it is weak and the saw will not fire. Went to the Poulan site and was going to order a ignition coil but it lists two different types for the saw depending on if it is a type 1 or type 2 saw. I don't know how to tell the difference.
There's a few handful of differences between the type 1 and type 2. but they are pretty much the same carburetor you should you put a new carburetor on it? And you know you're getting fuel to the cylinder have you check for spark? The other thing I would check for is scoring this is something that I do in my shop every time a 2 stroke walks in the door I always check for scoring which is scratches on the piston and cylinder. Sometimes without knowing it people overrun the engine or cut with a dull chain putting an extra load on the saw causing scoring. If you have scoring 9 out of 10 times you're not building the compression you need to run the unit. If the piston and cylinder is fine then I would recommend you sending me a picture or looking at the identification tag on the saw I think there's an indication of type 1 or type 2. The best way to check for scoring is to remove the exhaust and look at the exhaust side of the piston and cylinder. You can also look at the intake side of the cylinder as well while looking in the cylinder
I got off the phone with my poulan rep. He states that if you look at the end of the serial number there will be - 1 or a -2 that is located in your identification sticker