Mark Dotson
Mark Dotson,
Experience:  Master Service Technician at Mark The Mechanic
96841950

I have a on an 5000 marquis generator that won't start.

I have a on an 5000 marquis generator that won't start. Plenty of battery power it just whines does not kick over. What could be wrong?

Hi, my name is***** and am happy to assist with the problem you are having.

If you are hearing the whining coming from the starter and the engine is not turning over, it could mean that the starter is going out on this generator. Do you have the ability to check for power at the starter to see that you have a minimum of 12 Volts?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have already checked that do have.

If you have 12 Volts to the starter and the starter does not engage the flywheel, the pinion gear could be broken or the starter has failed internally. Your best course of action is to replace the starter. I would remove it and inspect the flywheel ring gear to ensure that it is not damaged and take the starter to an auto parts store and have them test it to ensure it is bad.

If this concludes our troubleshooting, please rate my response. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask. My goal is to do my best to help you remedy your small engine problem and continue to keep my high rating as a Technician.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you rate you a 10

Thank you very kindly and I am glad to be of service to you!