Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a ferris is 5000z cat diesel and 72 inch deck. The

Customer Question

I have a ferris is 5000z cat diesel and 72 inch deck. The engine runs but can not get power to the pto clutch. have replaced the switch . I used to here a click when it engaged but even with changing the switch there is no click when engaging. I have looked for the fuse that the schematic shows to the clutch but am not able to locate it. Is it a standard auto fuse?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: This is one of the first ones of this modef purchased in 2005. This is the first time
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible nearest repair is 31/2 hours away from me
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Everything else seems to be ok on the mower.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Model number? 998002 as example. Do you have wiring schematic? Usually there will be a pto relay, between the switch and the pto clutch, so the high voltage does not have to go through the switch. Are you using a voltmeter to see where you have voltage?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model #1550002/C31D
I have schematic, it shows a 20 amp fuse close to the pto on the black wire and from fuse goes to the pto switch.
I have ordered a voltmeter and should be here this week.

No pto relay shown?

OK< found the diagram. No relay used! Looks like fuse between switch and clutch. Fuse or fuse holder may not be letting voltage from switch get to clutch.

If you take jumper wire from battery direct to the black wire at clutch, does the magnet engage?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not tried that. I will go try it.

OK< engine OFF, key does not even have to be on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I went from battery to + post and the pto clicks this way.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let me rephrase. I went from + post on battery to the black wire connection on the pto and the pto clicks

OK, so we know the clutch is good. Now need to find voltage!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm thinking maybe fuse is blown. Does this use a regular fuse in holder or one of the newer knife blade fuses? and where would I possibly fined the fuse? I have looked from the pto wiring to the engine to where the wiring goes in under the seat and have not found anything yet except a diode close to the engine.

would assume it is the flat, automotive type, as inline fuses are a thing of the past! I would think fuse would be close to the pto switch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Curtis I will check tomorrow.

OK>