Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

HELP PLEASE....My wife & I bought a brand new shiny

Customer Question

HELP PLEASE....My wife & I bought a brand new shiny Husqvarna Z246 zero turn lawn mower, number###-##-#### Anyhow, we got home with it, and it will not start at all. I mean the ONLY way it will even click at the engine is if you PULL THE MOWER DECK button UP into the engage position. Here's what I have tried so far: 1. I called the store we got it at, they are out of stock on this mower, but they will refund our money. 2. I charged the battery, but I never really suspected this to begin with because the headlights were very bright. 3. I went to the solenoid switch and while my wife sat on the mower, I TOUCHED the positive side of the solenoid to the starter wire, and when I told her to turn the key on to the run position it would crank the motor, but I just did it for a split second, because I didn't want to damage anything. 4. I found a wire that had a 20amp fuse in it, so to be safe I changed the fuse, but obviously the fuse that I removed was not bad. 5.We both made sure that the control levers were in the park position. 6. Even checked the fuel shut off valve, it was in the closed position, so I opened it to on....but this obviously would not prevent the engine from at least cranking.... SOOOO, what could it be??? Thank You, ***** *****
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes, please read my post
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: absolutely, I know I am not s small engine mechanic, but I am a certified mechanic of 40 years.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yeah, read my posted question and help me to at least get it to crank
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Steve, if you are still in need of assistance, please let me know. I will do my best, ***** ***** figure out what is causing our problem. I do have some troubleshooting questions for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

After you arrived home with your new mower, did you drive it off of your trailer, or did you push it off?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Double check to see if your parking brake is on. If your parking brake is not on, your engine will not start. You and I can continue from here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Donald, NO the delivery men pushed the mower into my garage, it was obviously NOT driven, or I would not have been trying to figure out why it want turn over....And yes, I have checked 50 times, and the levers are pulled completely to the park position. Since I too am a mechanic( but autos/trucks only), I do know a little more than the basics, so I would appreciate it if you would keep that in mind....NOW, back to the mower, it almost certainly must be an electrical/switch/sensor issue....because please remember these facts: battery is fully charged, the only time you can even get a click out of the engine area is if you engage the mower deck in the wrong position!!!!! I mean that if I pull up on the red engage deck button, the engine when you try to start it will at least click occasionally.....please also remember that I tried bypass starting it with the key in the run position by touching a wire directly to the starter from the solenoid, and YES that is the only time the engine actually cranked, but I only did it for a split second to be sure that the engine wasn't frozen up from the factory....Donald, if you can help me to get this figured out, then I most certainly will take good care of you...Sincerely, ***** *****
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Steve, thanks for your response. Absolutely, I will definitely respect the fact that you are indeed a technician. With the two of us combining our knowledge, I feel we will figure out what is causing our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

I will be away from my computer until 3:00 central time today.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

I am back now.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Our problem is definitely related to one of your safety switches. It has to be a switch, in your start circuit, that is not fully closing, resulting in an open circuit. After you return, we will begin by focusing on the safety switches that are activated by your left and right control arms. Sometimes these switch can be misaligned, preventing the plunger inside your safety switch, from fully depressing, when your control arms are in park position.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

You and I will figure it out ...