Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I have a onan 4.0 rv generator, that is producing 168 volts

Customer Question

i have a onan 4.0 rv generator , that is producing 168 volts is there an adjustment
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: onan model# ***** serial # b813552066
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: has been working fine but today when i started it i had a battery chargewr plugged up and it pop and smoked when turned on . also had a florecent like that was on and the tranformer pop and smoked
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Its usually due to the engine speed being too high. Does it sound like the engine is running faster than normal or anything? Has anyone worked on it recently for any reason?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
same speed as always , been using for awhile and voltage was always 126 or so
it popped a transformer in a light last weekend but thought the lite was old,, put in new 4 ft florecent last weekend, worked for 12 hrs strait with no problem

If youre sure the engine speed hasnt changed then its gonna be a bad voltage regulator. You would need to check the frequency of the power to be sure its at or very close to 60 hertz to verify it isnt engine speed related. If the frequency is right then its most likely a bad voltage regulator.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
don't see a regulator in the wiring diagram for this model , we work on the newer models where i work but do see very many this old

Sorry. Just pulled up the diagram. You are right. Theres no regulator on it. Have you checked the frequency?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where do i check it at ,, line 1 or 2 or both

Either one. They should both be right at 60 hertz