Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

The only way the pto will engage is when i move the levers

Customer Question

The only way the pto will engage is when i move the levers in after I've started it and released the brake, by moving the right lever out and back in about 75% of the way- it will engage and that is not moving the mower. if i move both levers in, pull the pto knob and try and move forward, the mover will drive but it won't engage. BUT if i move the right lever as I said out;back to the starting position about 25% of the way the pto will engage but i can't drive forward or backward to keep it engaged.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes, the engine is running- no issues there.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: typically i take it to my Cub Cadet dealer to take care of it every year but for this problem he told me that it's probably the belt- which is good, so I'd like to know what the problem is
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, other than I tightened the levers to see it that helped- it didn't
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 30 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 30 days ago.

What is the model number of the mower? Is blade engaged with lever or with electric switch?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
rzt42, is engaged with electric switch; a pto pull knob
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
in "faith" I gave you the $5, is there an answer?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 30 days ago.

Sorry, I type slow. Ok, so you have to feather the arms , to get the pto to engage. That tells me one of your arm switches is hanging up or needs adjustment. Locate the two switches, one on each arm and wd 40 them and work the arms to loosen up a sticking switch. If arm switches are not making contact, the blade circuit is not complete.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 30 days ago.

let me know>

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 25 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem? Please rate to close.