Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a honda ex650 that the carb floods when it is bolted

Customer Question

I have a honda ex650 that the carb floods when it is bolted into place. Fuel runns out inside the carb. Happens on old and new carb?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Problem started about a month ago while the unit was not being used. Flooded and drained the fuel tank. I left the knob in the on position to keep fuel in the carb and maybe eliminate the fuel jet plugging from dry fuel.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Fuel in the tank is new clean fuel now. After I discovered the drained tank I had to drain the oil as fuel ran into the crank case.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not sure. Thought it was a needle and float and bought new ones but old carb still flooded. Then bought new carb and it does the same thing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bill McCusker replied 1 month ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answers My name is***** try to solve this together.

If your carb is still flooding even with a new carb. you are on the right path with the needle and seat. There may be dirt in your fuel holding that needle open..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But the fuel is new and when I drain some into a test tube it is clean.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This will sound strange....but if I remove the carb from the two mounting studs or hold the other carb off to the side and attach the fuel line it does not flood. Very strange to me. Is there a problem with this carb with over tightening on the studs? I tried to loosen the nuts and it ran last night OK. Then today it would not start and was flooding again. I am totally lost.

No. because now you have moved it to a point where the float has closed the needle..

it is pos you have a faulty carb..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This carb is brand new......and I replaced the needle and float on the old carb.......they both act the same. Can't be 2 bad carbs with the same strange problem?

Sinced you said it runs fine when it does run you can put a in line fuel shut off when you shut off the engine you just have to remember to shut off the fuel.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This generator has an inline shut off in the design.....and it floods as soon as you turn it to the on position.....won't start.....flooded

so as soon as you turn on the fuel shut off it starts to leak fuel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As soon as you turn the fuel shut off to the on position the bowl will fill and fuel will begin running out inside the throat of the carb.

If you looked at the carb there will be a tab that pushes up on the needle is it metal or plastic?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the entire float is plastic on this carb. If the float is bad that would mean the first old one in the original carb was bad......a replacement one that I just bought and then the one in the brand new carb are also bad???????????

right .. But if the tabe that pushes on the needle is metal you could bend it slightly to get the needle to seat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Roger that but it is all plastic.

ok on to the next thought..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I have the carb bolted into place and I remove the bowl screw and drop the bowl I can actuate the float and it appears to work
........ but it is all plastic and I have no feel for exactly where the float level is when it shuts off. But it does shut off when I push up on the float. I know you think I am BS ing you but this is really happening. I am good enough to fix most of these things but this one has me stumped......for now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have access to Honda service bulletins on the EX650?

No im not doubting you in any way.. so what we have here is if you can push up the float and it shuts off we need to figure out why the fuel wont. in normal cases the reason it wont is because when the fuel gets to the point of leaking which is what you have it hasnt pushed up the float enought to shut off the needle.

I can get you a service bulletin.

however i dont have a way to access them right now i will have to get at them when i go to the shop on monday.. Can you wait until monday? if not i will opt out and see if another expert has access to it now

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've got about another 1/2 hour to come up with something then I have to run.

Would you like me to opt out?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If you can pass it off to someone who has direct EX650 bench time

I wont know who will pick it up.

But i will opt out it sounds like the problem you have is something of unique.. I wish you the best of luck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Bill. What will my charges be?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please cancel this request and refund my charges.