Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I used my Kohler 5kw the other day and it started with the

Customer Question

I used my Kohler 5kw the other day and it started with the first push of the remote switch. I let it run for about 30 min and shut it down. Today, went to restart and it would only crank, but would not start. The gen has only 45 hours and is a 2000. Joe
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: The tank is full and yes the shut off valve is open. I filled the tank before I ran it the other day when it ran.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well, I live in St.Thomas and there are not many mechanic's here. so I will attempt to try to solve the problem.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Only that I have not attempted any thing as of yet.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Mark Dotson replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** and am happy to assist with the problem you are having.

First, since you said it ran the day before, we can rule out a few things. We knew it was getting fuel and spark but one of those might have become an issue. The first thing I would like you to check is for spark by installing a spark tester inline and then cranking the engine. These are available at most auto supply stores. If you do have spark, then remove the spark plug and see if it is wet with fuel and then let me know what you have found and we can investigate this further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has spark, and it is wet with fuel.

OK, so we know it has those two items, we will concentrate on the fuel side of things. Is there a way you can take a fuel sample in a glass jar or beaker and see if there is water in the fuel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can

Since you put fuel in it the other day, I want to rule out if water has now settled in the tank and into the carburetor bowl. If you can shut off the fuel and drain the carburetor bowl, that is also where we need to see if water is in there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will do today