Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Second opinion] -, I have a Noma Tractor01/ G4620000 I am

Customer Question

Second opinion] - hello Jack, I have a Noma Tractor(###) ###-####01/ G4620000 I am interested in using this tractor as a winter snowblower tractor for a parking lot. I currently have the blade attachment installed on the unit but we have not used this tractor for at least 5 years. It did run and now after sitting it doesnt.My question is based on your opinion of the unit and how much its worth and the probable expense to repair any possible engine rot(gaskets,plugs etc. )to return the unit to 20 hp potential so that its worth the investment of buying a blower for installation. Is this A Good Bet ??? with your Knowledge of this engine and my objective goals? BTW: it looks great tires are good and I have tire chains too,Is it a Good Bet ? Whats a reasonable expectation for my objectives ? How do i Interpret this units Age?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

There should be another all number code after the engine model number you have for the Briggs engine. That would determine the age. Looks to be an older Briggs opposed twin, flat head design. You say it will not run?Does it have spark when cranking?Will it run if you dribble fuel into the carburetor opening, below the air filter? I would want something newer myself, but if the tractor runs ok, and your attachment will work, it can be all you need!

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It has sat and the battery is dead. At last service the deck had rotted so we removed it and left it with the manufacturers small plow blade however I am contemplating an investment and trying to garner if the 20 hp noma Briggs & Stratton is worth the $1000.00 dollar investment of a blower to satisfy the approaching winter need versus the John Deere Onan 316 tractor and blower for which I have no point of refrence other than it looks good and is less hp at 16, but I know older JD's can be workhorses and that the dilemma
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

You could do battery and try to jump start engine, but I would want engine running and transmission driving, before investing 1000 in a blower. a package deal on the Deere makes more sense to me.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
what info can you give me about the 2 units in question, no reference to the difference in HP the benefits of repair differences between the two engines when considering maintenance or the wear patterns of transaxles longivity and such , I am informed but I am not a small engine mechanic. I hoped you would offer more detailed defined reasoning for the pros/cons of the 2 proposed options BTW the other code is 6013 (G462000- 6013/ S003063338581) Briggs&Stratton(###) ###-####01 /9601035B. this is for the Noma .
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I will go to see the JD 316 onan on tomorrow and want to be very informed about the choices
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

Briggs is 1996 year model. So it is 20 years old. Deere / Onan, is around dame age, less horsepower and parts for engine are more expensive. Benefit of Deere, it runs and has the equipment installed !

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 22 days ago.

I see question is still open. Please rate to close and get me credit!