Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I started to loose power on my troybilt chiper vac. then I

Customer Question

Hi, I started to loose power on my troybilt chiper vac. then I heard a pop from the motor area and the engin stopped. In trying to restart, the cord pulls very easily
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes, fuel is in tank although it was the bottom of tank with old gas in it. not sure what shut-off valve is
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have been using it the last few days
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is it possible the piston rod broke?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, remove the spark plug and feel for the piston with a probe, then turn engine to see if piston is moving. If not, rod has broken!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just tried starting it again and now the pull cord is locked up
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that how you wanted me to turn the engine piston
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, but you may have to remove the pull cord housing, and try turning engine in the reverse direction.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would I do that with a wrench?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
turn the engine without the pull cord?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks, I'll give that a try tomorrow
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Chipper hasn't sucked up something and is binding the engine? No, you said engine was turning too free!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the pull cord was going very freely, then I tried it a couple of times later, that is when it locked up
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm thinking piston /connecting rod is broken! Did you see any damage to the spark plug?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hello, I did check the piston and it doesn't move when I rotate the or pull the cord to start. I can push it down with a screwdriver but then it locks up. If I free up again on the bottom by turning the blades it'll be freed up but then I push it down and
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It locks up again.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

Piston connecting rod has broken. I would say you need a new blower/vacuum.!

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you Curtis
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

Sorry, please rate to close.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hi I just replaced my Troyville chipper back with the model 47279 and I have a question on the tube that comes down from the engine there's a what it's doing heavy work the oil seems to leak out of that tube is that supposed to be attached to the air cleaner.? Please advise
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 26 days ago.

That is the vent hose from the crankcase. Is oil level correct? Is the mounting angle same as old engine? Oil not too thin?