Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at Rhode Island Harvesting Co
96417199

Second opinion] - at high rpm the engine loses power and

Customer Question

Second opinion] - at high rpm the engine loses power and smoke (blue) billows from the exhaust.,It happens especially under load. What is the cause/fix
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: The tractor was purchased new in 2009 although it is a 2008 model Cub Cadet 2542 with a mod CH20s. It has done this on occasion before but it seems worse now. Usually it runs fine no noise no knocking nothing.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I think I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I checked the oil this last time and the stick had a reading all the way up to "from" and it only had 2 qts of oil......
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bill McCusker replied 1 month ago.

Hello welcome to Just Answers. My name is ***** ***** try to solve this together.

You put 2 qts of in the unit? those units normally take 1qt and 20 oz of oil so almost 2 qts.

Do you have oil in the carb area?

Also is does the oil seem water or like gas is in the oil?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The Kohler manual calls for 2 qts. of oil. The oil I drained was extremely watery looking.
there's a couple things to take into consideration 1 when oil does get hot it dose flow a lot better the viscosity of the oil becomes a lot higher. it will flow like water. 2 the weight of the oil are you putting in like a 5W30 or 20w50 5 W would be thinner than say a 20w 3 dose it have water? From what you are talking about it doesn't seem like it has a milky white substance but also if it does have water in the system it can flow like it does have water. however it will come out white milky looking 4 does your oil smell like gas? It is possible that you are having some form of a gas washing down the cylinder wall and getting into the oil.
All of these can make oil flow like water. This is why I asked if you were burning oil. Because if you are not burning oil and your oil comes out watery looking that just tells you that the engine got hot enough to send out the oil to make it flow like water. If you are burning oil than the oil viscosity has thinned out so much that it is possible that it is bypassing the Rings or falling into the carburetor through a breather valve. If you're not burning maybe go with a thicker oil.