Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor, 26 HP 54 in cut, elec start

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor, 26 HP 54 in cut, elec start auto transmission, model number is *****
As I was mowing it started to slow down on slight grades and finally stopped moving completely. I replaced the drive belt, which looked ok, and there was no difference when I tried mowing again. I referred to operator manual but found nothing regarding the transmission problems. The mower is only 3 years old. What can I check for reason why it is not moving?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Does the transmission drive belt on top of the transmission quit turning. or does it keep turning. If belt keeps turning,problem has to be the transmission.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Transmission is not serviceable, but the # 15 ,is plug that can b removed, and yu can add a small amount of 15W50 engine oil, maybe a cup full, to see if it helps!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
The belt does keep turning and I was afraid that it was the transmission. I will try adding some oil and if that does not work, assume it is shot.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If the tractor rolls free, showing the brakes are not dragging, it has to be transmission!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any idea what a new transmission costs?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

From Sears $665