Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a troy bilt horse xp and the PTO lever will not stay

Customer Question

I have a troy bilt horse xp and the PTO lever will not stay engaged
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a couple of months now I have changed the pto cable and belt , it has still the same symptom that it will stay engaged for a few seconds then move to the off position, the only way to mow the grass is to hold the lever down
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i don't think so just the lever won't stay engaged i really don't want to be just swapping out parts until i fixi the problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

What is the full model number of the mower? The(latch) is the lever on the deck, with the tension spring. When you move the cable/spring , the lever on the deck is supposed to latch in position. Spring may be weak, or the lever bent. or belt length can be wrong, not letting lever move far enough to latch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the model number is 13WX79KT011, THE TENSION OR LACK THEREOF IS THE SAME ON THE PTO HANDLE WHETER THE PTO CABLE IS CONNECTED TO THE DECK OR NOT
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Page 24 and 25 in the manual above shows the springs involved. Are thee in place and the lever with idler moving?