Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro Z 149 2001 (which I maintain well.and mowed)

Customer Question

I have a Toro Z(###) ###-####(which I maintain well.and mowed) last Wednesday night. I went to mow Sunday made a few passes around the yard and it started to die. I shut it off lifted seat and could smell hot smell like electrical. I did have to jump battery to start Sunday. Could something have fried electrically because of really dead battery. Today I picked up brand new battery. Started fine and I made 1 pass around yard and it started to dies so I just shut it off. Tried to restart and it just clicked as if battery is totally dead.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Oh yes and I had just switched tanks Sunday am as well. It has dual 5 gal tanks
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well if i can i sure would
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really it has been running great
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

When you jumped it off, did you use a running vehicle to start the unit? You may have damaged the charging system, and either the stator or the voltage will need to be replaced. do you have the full Toro model number?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did you find the charging system was not working?