Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My problem is the same, the pto will not stay engauged

Customer Question

my problem is the same, the pto will not stay engauged unless the switch is manually helded up and usually blows fuse within 10 to 15 seconds. When switch is let go, it comes back to middle setting then turns off. Any direction on what to trouble shoot this is greatly appreciated. My cub dealer says it may be a diode in the harness?? Please help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 1/2 weeks. I do lawn care and landscaping with this 1440 and don't have a back. Been thru and replaced electrical parts, but no success
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm not a mechanic, but know this mower well. have done a lot of repairs myself. Just don't know where and what to look for
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Cub 1440 14 horse briggs 42" deck
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: As I mentioned, we have looked at many areas, by either replacing parts and checking connection with tester. even bypassed seat sensors with should have worked. everything else seems to working correctly
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see nothing in the electrical system, other than the pto switch and the pto clutch. With it blowing the fuse, when you hold the switch, the electric clutch sees to be taking too many amps to work the electric clutch. Have you tested the clutch or replaced it? This looks to have an older style clutch, which has three springs and three self locking nuts, this allows the armature to be moved closer to the magnet. By closing the gap between the two part, may let it work easier. Other wise the electric clutch likley needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is recommended OE gap space and if mine is at that, can I reduce the gap and how much? Pro was working fine when all this began. The beginning was it would not start. No power at all when switch turned on, no dash lights head lights or, tail lights. Seem that was cured then the pro situation started. Even put in new plunger for safey switches from brake petal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this all or when will my last question answered???
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Gap needs be .015 , but as long as it opens, and releases, you can't get it too close.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did adjusting clutch help?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Did not help. Next have to pull engine and replace dioide
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 28 days ago.

Diode? Have you jumped the clutch direct from the battery to be sure it works? Only diode I am aware of is for the charging system, and has nothing to do with pto clutch. and is NOT internal to engine, but external in the wiring coming from under the flywheel. I think clutch is pulling too many amps, and will have to be replaced.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 23 days ago.

I see question is still open. Did you find probelm? Does the clutch engage on direct voltage test?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I have ordered a new pro. Will try that and see if it solves problem. If that doesn't work, last resort is to install the diode. So I guess we should consider the case closed
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 23 days ago.

I think the pto clutch will be the problem, please rate when are ready to close.