Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I just ran my generator for 15 minutes after sitting for 3

Customer Question

I just ran my generator for 15 minutes after sitting for 3 months, just to test. Ran fine, but when I shut it off, fuel was leaking out of the carburetor.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is 3 years old, probably has 50 hours on it. It is a Generac 5500 watt portable unit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I tried to turn the fuel shut off valve, it broke, so I drained the gas, and pulled the air filter and carburetor. I would like to do it myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Gas leaking at the carburetor would be the needle valve and float, not shutting off the fuel to the float bowl. You need to replace the needle valve and seat, and check the float, or replace the carburetor, and get a new fuel shutoff for the tank.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 29 days ago.

I see question is still open, did you see my response?