Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1850 powermate, will start and run for about 10 or 15

Customer Question

Coleman 1850 powermate, will start and run for about 10 or 15 minutes underload then die, and wont start back up for another 20 or 30 minutes
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel is in the tank, new fuel, removed the tank last night, cleaned it, removed carburetor and cleaned it,
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I already did the work myself
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I removed the fuel tank last night, emptied the fuel, cleaned the tank, cleaned the fuel lines, removed the carburetor, cleaned the carb, put new fuel in tank, new spark plug,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It will run for about 5 10 minutes, will die then wont start back up for a while
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

When engine quits, do you have spark? With no spark, the coil is going bad, or the oil switch is killing the spark. Is oil level ok?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oil level is okay, I have spark as well
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

So when it quits it has spark? If you open the fule line at the carburetor , do you have fuel flowing? Fuel tanked venting, not drawing a vacuum on the tank?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Runs with a load for about 15 to 20 min amd dies like lack of fuel . And same without a load fresh gass
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Try it with loose fuel cap.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If a lack of fuel, that might be problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gas cap did not work, the generator will start surging before it dies, then if you adjust the carburetor mid way between, run and choke it will smooth out and run a little longer then surge again a few times then die
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Sounds like fuel starvation from the tank to the carburetor. Tank line and filter all open going to the carb?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we cleaned out the tank and all the lines last night, completely removed from generator, the generator will now start right back up every time, it gravity fed, with a in line valve thats open
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

You said it had to sit a while before it would restart. That made me think you were loosing spark.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thats the only option left i guess
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

You said you have spark, when it quits, so that rules that out!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Shouldn't there be noticeable spark coming from the spark plug wire when pulling starting?? I've tried placing it to where i can see spark coming from the cable, with the cable hooked up to the spark plug, there is a very paint spark coming from the plug
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, should be good spark! Maybe you do have bad coil.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I should be able to put the plug wire on like a screwdriver end and see spark from it correct or pplace it on a bolt end and see sparks? I dont have a volt meter so i cant do it the correct way
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

With spark plug grounded, and hooked to the cable is the right way! It should have good bright spark at the tip of the plug.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, just put in a new plug, has great spatk now, still dies
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

!! Unplug the oil level sensor and see if it runs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any idea of location on this model
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

No , but will be on the crankcase of the engine.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?