Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Starter turns motor for a second or two and then stops.

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Make and model? If you remove spark plug or plugs, does engine continue to crank?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My Koehler motor starter engages,for a second or two, and turns motor part of a revolution and then stops.

If you remove spark plug or plugs, does engine continue to crank?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
mower is Toro zero turn time saver Z5000 model # 74370. Motor is Koehler Courage 21 h.p. 597 cc
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Starter turns motor over.without spark plug wire. However, If motor stops in a certain position, starter will turn motor a very short time and will not turn over enough to start. If I turn motor over manually, to a different position, Starter will engage and motor will start
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Courage has adjustable valves, have you checked the valve clearance? See manual below.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Valve clearance? I found the trouble to be a bad solenoid. I replaced it and all is well. I assume there will not be a charge to me since I fixed it myself?

Solenoid does not fit the picture you drew. Let's hope that takes care of it. You only pay if you are satisfied, but you may contact site to get you a refund, as it goes on account as a deposit.