Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Starter turns motor for a second or two and then stops.

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Make and model? If you remove spark plug or plugs, does engine continue to crank?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My Koehler motor starter engages,for a second or two, and turns motor part of a revolution and then stops.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

If you remove spark plug or plugs, does engine continue to crank?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
mower is Toro zero turn time saver Z5000 model # 74370. Motor is Koehler Courage 21 h.p. 597 cc
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Starter turns motor over.without spark plug wire. However, If motor stops in a certain position, starter will turn motor a very short time and will not turn over enough to start. If I turn motor over manually, to a different position, Starter will engage and motor will start
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Courage has adjustable valves, have you checked the valve clearance? See manual below.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Valve clearance? I found the trouble to be a bad solenoid. I replaced it and all is well. I assume there will not be a charge to me since I fixed it myself?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Solenoid does not fit the picture you drew. Let's hope that takes care of it. You only pay if you are satisfied, but you may contact site to get you a refund, as it goes on account as a deposit.