Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Troy Bilt, Tecumseh engine, that starts but won't

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Troy Bilt wood chipper, Tecumseh engine, that starts but won't run. Dies almost immediately. I use ether engine starter to get it to start (always have had to), but regardless of throttle / choke setting, cranks and dies. Any suggestions short of taking to a dealer? Thanks,
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, I have fuel. To the best of my knowledge, fuel is clean (I use stabilizer) Not sure about the "shut-off valve"; where is it located? My manual is missing.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well . . . I could, I suppose. I'm not a tech, but if it is something reasonable simple I might be able to pull it off
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not to my (limited) knowledge.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Check for fuel flow to the carburetor from the fule tank, this will require removing the fuel line at the carburetor. If there is fuel to the carburetor, then the carburetor is not letting the fuel through.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I need to dissemble anything to access the fuel line?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The float and needle valve may be stuck, or the passage from the inlet fitting to the needle valve may have debris in it. A good carburetor disassembly and cleaning may be in order. Or a new carburetor!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

You should be able to get to the fuel line, maybe the air cleaner may need to be removed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thanks. I'll give it a try.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

OK>

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?