Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an onan generator on a bucket truck. It is model

Customer Question

Hello! I have an onan generator on a bucket truck. It is model 4.5bgdfb30502m. It will start and run for about 30 seconds and die as if someone hit the kill switch. I've tested all the switches on the ground and the boom and found no issues. Upon further testing I found if I unplug the stator the generator seems to stay running. As soon as I plug it back in it dies.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

When it shuts down, will it start right back up, or does it have to sit?

How exactly are you "unplugging" the stator?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The generator starts right back up, and runs a short period of time again. The stator has a plug on the side that I unplugged to test it and out of curiosity I tried running the generator and it ran for a longer period. The governor linkage was pretty rusty and tight, so I lubricated it and now the generator seems to stay running
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

There is no plug for the stator on this unit. All of the stator leads are inside the genset. The only external AC wires are the output leads that come off the circuit breakers and go to the truck.

I need to know exactly what you are unplugging.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well I did unplug the stator, it's a 2 wire plug on the side of the unit. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this stator is used in creating 12 volts DC, it does not come from the side of the unit where the a/c generator lies
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

There is a 2 wire plug for the battery charge system, but it comes off the PMG, not the stator.

I need to know for sure what you are unplugging there. What are the numbers on the wires? Do they start with J3, J5 or J8?