Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

We have a ferrisIS 155 ZX MOWER with Briggs 24hp, since new

Customer Question

We have a ferrisIS 155 ZX MOWER with Briggs 24hp, since new has always been hard to start.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Over the 3 years, New plugs havnt helped, squiting a little fuel down the carbi doesn't help, new battery hasn't helped.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am qualified mechanic. looking for answers...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: taking air filter off hasn't helped. Is there a simple way , say with spark lea off, spark should jump to engine at a distance of or? Please help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

You stated that your engine has always been hard to start. Will your engine continue to run, after it eventually starts up? Does your engine have full power, as you are out mowing with your mower?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Instead of squirting fuel into your carburetor, try a burst of carburetor cleaner, to see if it makes a difference. Keep in mind that all engines needs three things in order to start up and run. Fuel, Spark, and Compression.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

To check for spark to your spark plug, use the procedure in the link below.

Spark - Click Here

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

The engine in the link is different from your engine, but the procedure is the same for your engine. You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!