Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My bush hog zt22 mower deck spins backwards when you turn on

Customer Question

My bush hog zt22 mower deck spins backwards when you turn on the pto it was bought used
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Do you know if your pto clutch has ever been replaced?

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

The reason I am asking, is because some pto clutches are designed for clockwise operations, and some are designed for counterclockwise operations.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not sure
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was bought used
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

I have an image of the correct pto clutch for your mower. I would like for you to take a look, to see if it matches the pto clutch you have.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

We can assume that your engine is spinning in the correct direction. This leads me to believe that our problem is either caused by the routing of your belt, or your pto clutch.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It looks right. I have checked the routing of the belts several times. Looks like someone worked on the gear box at some point could they have not put it back together right
Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for this information. Sorry for the delay. Your gear box could very well be the source of our problem.

Expert:  Donald replied 7 months ago.

If your gear box has been disassembled, this problem can occur if all internal parts were not re-assembled in the correct orientation.