Wayne, Engine Rebuilder
Experience:  many years on egine rebuilding, lawn mower,roto tiller,Truck,and small engines
6825259

Kawasaki mower on a JD45 walk behind 15 y.o. turned it over

Customer Question

Kawasaki mower on a JD45 walk behind 15 y.o.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: turned it over to remove debris from fuel tank. after upright, the mower starts but at extremely high rpm. I don't get it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Mower was for a 21" walk behind self propelled 14SE
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: at $75/hour + for repair stores, Yes, I'd like to repair what I can I'm trying to get an Idea what the problem is.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kawasaki mower engine on an older John Deere 14SE walk behind.
Throttle cable glides smoothly, but engine runs at high RPM and throttle not working?
It will cut off by the throttle. I would like to know the cause.link is for a image of the mower if it helps:
https://www.google.com/search?q=older+john+deere+walk+21%22+behind+mowers&biw=1178&bih=807&tbm=isch&imgil=Nq0XRlRqGixurM%253A%253BAAii9c6SCeVkiM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.youtube.com%25252Fwatch%25253Fv%2525253D4I6Ev4jEX3s&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Nq0XRlRqGixurM%253A%252CAAii9c6SCeVkiM%252C_&usg=__K3rjeWsDrw4wa7ZIn2FGKy_8MTU%3D&ved=0ahUKEwi8ubmE8_bPAhXEbiYKHYisAqYQyjcIRg&ei=fc4PWPyGLsTdmQGI2YqwCg#imgrc=zK10U6lMOHQoxM%3A
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will try to help you with this

does it smoke Heavy , when you start it ??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no it doesn't smoke.
I had turned it over to remove debris from the gas because leaves and junk fell in as I was refilling. It was over long enough to dump the gas on the concrete That was yesterday. I haven't tried it today because I didn't want to cause damage.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just want to know what is a probable cause, so I'm not paying a repair guy $70/hour for simple investigation
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

Hi Thank you for that

look at the carb there is 2 springs on it

make sure one did not fall off

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 month ago.

OK, let me know