Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

My briggs and Stratton portable generator model 30468 has a

Customer Question

My briggs and Stratton portable generator model 30468 has a hydraulic lock up problem. I cant pull the starting cord because gasoline has completely flooded the engine. I drained the gasoline mixed with the engine oil by draining the oil. also the mixture shoots out of the spark plug connection. The air filter is also entirely soaked. Can you help me diagnose the underlying problem. The Generator does not get much use but I run it every month just to avoid problems
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: When I run it I leave the engine run for at least five minutes and then turn the fuel shut off valve to the off position and let it run until it stops. Fuel is clean and treated with sea foam.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Only if it is a simple fix other wise I do have a mechanic who I can call if necessary
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This is the second occurrence of this issue.. My mechanic fixed it the first time but I feel he treated the symptoms and not the cause.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 5 months ago.

Hello how are you today? When you turn the fuel off and run the fuel out of the carb the float valve that controls the flow of fuel into the carbs bowl opens up, some times corrosion builds up, this corrosion will stop the valve from closing and the issues you are having appear. At this point, the carb will have to come apart and the valve cleaned, or replaced, depending on the condition.

I would also suggest the oil be changed, spark plug replaced, along with the air filter.