Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have a Honda generator that won't auto throttle. It runs

Customer Question

I have a Honda generator that won't auto throttle. It runs at full speed all the time. I'd like to see if I can fix it.
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I'm not sure what model. I'll have to look tomorrow. It is probably 15 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I need a model number to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry busy day! It's a Honda EB5000
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

EB5000x or i

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know - what's the difference - are you able to tell from the photo?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

Send a pic and I'll check.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did - here it is again.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

I'm looking through the shop manual now and haven't come across much info. Are the wires connected? Sometimes there's a little corrosion. pull wires apart then re connect.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll look in the am, but I think everything is connected. When I flip the switch, it starts to surge.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

OK, I'll send the shop manual link. Go to page 36 first. https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqvmPfzg3ifPg-JrhRwTmZ1sCGrwBw

Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

If it surges it could be a carb problem. See manual first.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Vince, I didn't have a chance to look at it today. I had a sick kid home from school. Will do in the am.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

OK, take your time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vince,I'm finally getting around to opening and reading the manual you sent, but I'm not able to open it on my iPad or laptop. It says there's something wrong with the PDF file. Can you please re-share it? I'm happy to read it, but I'm also hoping you'll be able to provide me with some more advice on what might be the problem - or if there are typically problems with these auto throttle units and what they are. Thanks.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

Try again https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqvmPfzg3ifPg-JrhRwTmZ1sCGrwBw both links open for me

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still not able to open it. See attached screen shot.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still can't read it. I don't have a Windows machine - there's something up with the PDF file and I'm not able to open it with any program I have.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 month ago.

I don't know what is wrong, they all open for me. I guess I'll opt out so another can try to help you.