Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Kohler diesel in 2015 1000 model Polaris ranger.

Customer Question

I have a Kohler diesel in 2015 1000 model Polaris ranger. When I turn the key off the engine keeps running for a couple of minutes like its shutting the fuel off but not the actual engine. Any idea of what is suppose to shut the engine down?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Engine family I'd is ekhxl1.37sf1
Serial number(###) ###-####And looks like kgw1003These numbers are found on the engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Page 55 in the service manual shows the Non=return valve, which is what should kill the engine on shutoff.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is that part of the fuel pump?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am guessing it is not working. The only electronics I could find that would shut the fuel down was a wore to the fuel pump. But it would seem this would b a slow shut down if in fact this where I find the shut off return

No, part of the injection system.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should i find a wire to that valve externally?

I really don't know, was looking at service manual my self. Looks to be a vacuum operated link to kill engine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
K i will look tomorrow.

OK>

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Curtis
I have not found the problem yet. I am trying to figure out still where the line is to kill the engine. Polaris says it is part of the pump. I ordered the part and hopefully will know more by mid week. We tried clamping off fuel hose and "no quick shut down". If I knew what exactly shut it down or which wires it would solve my issue I think.

OK< thanks, A wiring schematic looks to be what is needed. I suppose Polaris won't send you one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Naw. I cannot find one online for the diesel either. Polaris just says bring it to them and they are four days behind. Maybe if the part comes in today we can get them to give us something.

OK>

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your help. If you have access to a schematic or know where I could get one that would be great.

No, all I could find was the Koher service manual, and it was vague!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK if I can leave open the rest of this week that would be great.

Sure, as long as need be.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 months ago.

Question popped up this AM.??? Did you find probelm?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Curtis
We did finally figure it out. So if u hear of this problem again here is the answer from what we learned. This Kohler three cylinder diesel shut off is controlled by a fuel pressure drop when the switch is turned off. This shuts fuel from the fuel line that supplies the three injectors (and three built in pumps). Problem found was a small ball on the #2 injector was missing and the other two were stuck. These balls are the size of an inkpen ball. Located atop of the injector. When pressure drops in the line the ball drops down killing the engine by shutting off fuel to the injector. These were leaking by thus allowing the engine to keep running.Good luck in the future.

Thanks , so it took three new injectors.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No just replaced the top of one and freed up the other two. A local diesel shop was able to salvage us the parts we needed. Injectors were 500.00 plus per injector.

OK! Wonder why they stuck?