Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My D100 series riding mower will not start. I hear the

Customer Question

My D100 series riding mower will not start. I hear the "squealing" sound when I turn the key, which I think may be the solenoid(?), but the engine does not even try to turn over. The lights work fine.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, but the carborator will probably need to be primed, but if the engine won't turn, then that wouldn't be a factor, would it?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. I'm fairly smart about mechanical stuff, bit electrical systems are very difficult for me. I don't want to pay to have it taken into the shop. That's very expensive.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Here's how it started. I managed to tangle a garden hose in the mower blade, so I simply tipped the mower over in order to get access to the blades. I suspect that, in doing so, I 1) drained the carburetor and 2) may have jarred something loose. when I tried to restart the engine, it did turn over a few times without firing, but then stopped even turning over.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Remove spark plugs or plugs, and spin engine, you have fluid on top of a piston which needs to be released!