JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I own an 8KW Generac Generator (L/P) and has recently

Customer Question

I own an 8KW Generac Generator (L/P) and has recently developed a condition that is displayed as "low battery" on the LED display. I've let it run for two hours nonstop hoping that the new battery would recharge itself but it has not. What do you suppose might be going on ? is the Generator equipped with an alternator? Need some advice please.
TY Ralph Doucette
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 5 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The Generac unit will not charge the battery unless you are actually using the unit. In other words if you just let it sit and run without having something plugged into it that is pulling some voltage or current then the unit does not charge the battery. You have to actually be using a tool from the control panel to activate the battery charge circuit.

It is a somewhat odd design but it is the way that Generac chooses to utilize. If you want to charge the battery without using something that is plugged into the control then you would need to put a separate charger on the battery in order to do so. Just running the machine will not charge the battery.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.