Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Purchased a Generac GP8000E from my Menards Home Center in

Customer Question

lI purchased a Generac GP8000E from my Menards Home Center in Dayton, Ohio a month ago and it has worked without a problem until yesterday. I connected it to a sales cabin and work area for our Christmas Tree farm and it would not provide power. I checked the circut breaker buttons and ground fault buttons but none were activated.
I disconnected the cabin power cords (2 - 120 volt) and checked the output at the AC outlet with a multi-meter - no output. I then tested each of the AC outlets with a portable drill - no power. I then removed the four screws for the electrical panel and looked for damaged, burned wiring or components but found nothing wrong. I looked for some type of fuse or fuseblock near the generator but found none. I removed the cover from the rear of the generator and started the engine and confirmed that the shaft was turning properly and that there was no apparent damage to the generator. I then checked the AC output at the generator power and neutral connectors and the meter reaqds 129 AC volts. I then checked the power at each of the AC outlets and the meter said 129 AC volts.
I think either the AC outlet Ground Fault function has failed or the circut breaker has failed and did not activate properly. What do you think and how should I fix this problem?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

If the genset is putting out power, there is nothing to fix.

It is hard to say what happened, but it may have been something as simple as a stuck brush that has worked itself loose.

But if the genset is brand new, do not keep opening it up like that. You will void your warranty, if you have not already. They can tell when you have gotten into it.

If it acts up again, the best thing to do is to get it to an authorized Generac repair facility to have it repaired under warranty.