Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 675E series engine that will start sometimes but

Customer Question

I have a 675E series engine that will start sometimes but will not continue to run. It also uses a lot of gasoline in my opinion considering the 650 series engine on my tiller sips gas.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

The needle valve and float is what controls the fuel into the carburetor bowl. Is the needle valve seat fully open? Or can the rubber seat be swelled up and restricting the flow? If the carburetor needle seat is all metal, it will have a rubber seat in the upper housing, This can be swollen by ethanol in the fuel . Repair would be to replace the needle valve and seat, or replace the carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The needle valve and float is fine. This was checked out too. No problem due to ethanol because I get no ethanol gas from the farm/ranch fuel dealer here. The engine will run for a short time, maybe 3-4 minutes then quit. Also, when it starts at the slow speed and then try to increase speed it will die sometimes. Also, why does it use so much gas? Oil level is correct. It does not burn oil. What I am describing is something from day one of purchase. Talked to Swisher, and Briggs/Stratton dealer about it too.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Is the carburetor choke fully opening? Not staying open? That would do the same thing, and would let it use much more fuel?