Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I own a 6 yr old 27 ton log splitter tha will no longer go

hi I own a 6 yr old 27 ton log splitter tha will no longer go int o 2nd stage splitting when the goin gets tough, ???
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1yr
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yew
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have changed hydro oil & filter 10 hrs ago///??

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Any make and model? Need to see what it uses for the 2nd stage. Either a leaking cylinder, or a valve is leaking, not letting the pressure raise .Can even be the pump, not capable of making the required pressure Do you see an adjustable relief valve? Valve tension would need to be increased to raise pressure.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
wil get all info & get back

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
LS 27 CC purchased in 09

Cub Cadet?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
modle#24bf572b756 gas powered 160 cc

The relief valve assembly is going to be bad, or the pump is not capable of making the maximum pressure. Located either on the hydraulc pump or part of the control valve. Parts book I see does not show it. Looks to be part of the pump!

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
going to go look things over & see if I CAN FIGURE A FEW THINGS Out. will getback

OK> Relief valve is the valve hanging out the side of the pump, it may be adjustable.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
does it cost me more the longer I am connected with you on this conversation?

No, all one price, unless you go for phone call, which I don't recommend.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
great. Will get back ASAP

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
After taking a good look at the setup, I see no external adjustments on the valve, which has a cast iron body & a single 2 way lever. The pump has what looks to be an extended cap nut just above the inlet hose. Could this be where one might do an adjustment?
There is also a lessor extended cap nut on the other, or high pressure side & an even shorter one below that one. Adjusters there? The OPs manual talks about a filter in the pump inlet hose to tank. Could it be that the pump is starved for oil to build the proper pressure to run the 2nd stage? As yet, I have not cleaned nor changed this filter as I have just learned of it.

Relief valve is likley the extended top piece on the pump body/ A valve with spring . the more spring tension, the more pressure.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
If one would hook up a high pressure gauge the high pressure side of the pump, what should the readings be?

2200 psi

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Will clean & or replace inlet filter. Check performance. If still not good,will check pump pressure. If reading is low, I will confirm which is the relief valve & try adjusting to proper pressure

OK> Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Are u ok with getting back to picking you brain on this if I need more assistance in the future & when I find the time to get to It?

Sure, there is not many things that I don't deal with.