Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I just replaced the main drive belt on my Deere SST15

Customer Question

I just replaced the main drive belt on my John Deere SST15 Spinsteer (hydrastatic transaxle) lawn tractor. Now the forward and reverse pedals work backward (push forward pedal and tractor goes backward).
What are most likely causes? Am 90% sure the new belt was routed correctly
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

Belt routing.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 days ago.

The control linkage from the foot control may have flipped over, and now the lever on the transmission may be moving in wrong direction.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Curtis: Sorry for the delayed response - we own a very active business and that limits time for the fun stuff. I do have both tech manual and parts book for the SST 15, which is why I'm pretty sure the belt is routed correctly - but will check it this weekend. Am interested in any other possibilities such as getting the linkage to the forward/reverse bellows mixed up, or perhaps a solenoid problem. Nothing in the tech manual addresses this issue.Thanks, George
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 days ago.

SST is a one of a kind, and it is not the normal setup. But you know that. The linkage on the actuators can mess up the steering, but I don't see how it would affect F/R, but something has flipped! With you having the manuals you are way ahead, as I don't have them! Let me know what you find.