Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Robin Engine 35c model. It's been running good just

Customer Question

Hey I have a Robin Engine 35c model. It's been running good just smokes some, so I know I got a ring issue. But now it won't run unless I spray with ether in the carb. I've replaced spark plugs, made sure it's getting fuel, oil is good, fresh tank of gas. It's just done this out of the blue
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just about a week
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it's simple I will
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No just not upstanding why it will run and drive while I spray ether in the carb. Once it burns off its just trying to start. Should I take the carb off and clean it
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes I took the line of to the carb and made sure it was pumping gas. Even unscrewed the bolt on the bottom of the bowl to make sure gas was in the carb
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

run a compression test! Has to be above 80psi for good start. If compression is too low, rings or valve problem.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Any ideas what to try?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

See what the compression is. Or use finger with rag over the spark plug hole, and see if it has enough compression to move the finger when cranking.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I just done a compression test. One side is reading 100 psi and the other 140 psi. After I replaced the plugs and tried again it fired up, I drove it around the yard maybe a Acre of land it died out like there's no power. It acts like it wants to run but no power to do so.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 days ago.

I doubt the weak cylinder is firing. See if it will run on one cylinder. The weak cylinder, may hae a bad valve, check the valve clearance on the weak cylinder.