Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My micro quiet ky4000 runs for two hours under full load off

Customer Question

My micro quiet ky4000 runs for two hours under full load off ac. After taking load off it died new carberator,new airfilter,new points,new oil,new cpu and fuel pump and filt for fuel. One time it ran for five hours I shut it off. Next day wouldn't run then ran for an hour.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Onan micro quiet 4000 ky 2002. Today I ran it with ac for two hour when I was shutting the ac off in order to shut down the Gen it dies. Volts were at 113-116 without a load with a load they go to zero. New ecu,new carb,new spark plug,new fuel pump and filter,new points and air filter. I've tried four gallons of new 91 with sea foam. Also after it shuts down it runs really ruff. Temp of oil 156 same on head. Been running fine sense June when I redid all of this stuff. I run it once ever two weeks for an hour sometimes longer.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 days ago.

OK, lets see what fault code it is giving.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 day ago.

Did you retrieve the fault code yet?