Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Cub cadet lt1045 2008 won't start, replaced starter,

Customer Question

Cub cadet lt1045 2008 won't start, replaced starter, battery, starter solenoid, fuel pump and spark plug, good fuel and oil. I was cutting grass and it just stopped. When I try to start it will attempt to turn over then you hear a click towards the carburator and it stops, then it will only spin and not turn over. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sounds good

What is the engine? Single cylinder or twin? If you remove spark plug and check for spark, with plug grounded, do you have spark?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me check, give me a few

If you have spark, and then put a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, and see if it will start after re-installing the spark plug. If it does, the fuel is not going through the carburetor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good spark, added fuel as directed still nothing. Motor is a Kohler 18 or 19 hp
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I took the spark plug out it was really dry, no moisture at all.

Single cylinder Kohler, go back and remove the spark lug, and with finger and rag over spark plug hole, see if you have enough compression to move your finger. If no compression, use a probe into the cylinder and feel for the pistn, and see if the piston moves as you turn the crankshaft.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Getting about 170 psi on my compression tester

Good compression, good spark, but will not run when gas is poured into the cylinder.? Two things left, check valves for movement, and check the timing key between the flywheel and the crankshaft.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Removed value cover and one screw was almost off, tightened and she fired right up! Thanks for help!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I fixed that it must have been burning the fuel I put in the spark plug hole because it ran for a few then shut off and won't start now, ideas

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It will run with gas in cylinder after I fixed the value problem, gas issue not getting to engine? I replace the filter and fuel pump and just cleaned the carb bowl, what else am I missing? Thanks

go back and check the valves again, Di you have the pistn at tdc on the compresion cycle and set bot valves at same time or did you set the valve that was up and then turned the set valve down to set the other? >.004 to .006 inch on valves?

see question still open. where are you now with repair? Engine will run with as in cylinder? If so, the electric fuel solenoid in carburetor not opening.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's the rocker arm screw, tightened but came loose again, thanks for help just need to figure out why it's coming loose

page 10.13 in the service manual above, shows the center set screw to be the lock screw. You are setting the valve and then tightening the center set screw?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The lock screw is stripped and can't tighten, ordered new ones and will try tomorrow

oK>