Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Ferris is500z. With two issues. One when starting

Customer Question

I have a Ferris is500z. With two issues. One when starting off and on it acts like it has too much compression. And starter wont turn the motor. And the last two times using it after about an hour of run time it will shut off and not restart. First time it started back after about 1 hour. But it did it again yesterday and will not restart. Checked the plugs, a little dark cleaned and gapped to .030 and it getting gas.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 days ago.

Engine make and model? Single cylinder? Plugs, so I assume it is a twin engine. Do you have a voltmeter to test battery voltage when starter is engaged? Is engine spinning, just not starting?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Two Cyl Briggs. Haven't tried volt meter yet. Doesn't help when trying to jump from auto or battery charger.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am at work now. And don't have the mower with me.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 days ago.

Twin Briggs usually not hard to start. That is why checking battery voltage is good idea. If voltage is above 12.5 volts before trying start, and drops below 8 volts, the starter may be bad! Also a compression test will confirm if there is too much compression. Should be 100 psi or less.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
At times it will spin. Then may not acts like a hard spot then when gets over that point it might spin. It there a compression valve relief. That the valves need adjustment?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 days ago.

Valve adjustment might help, but I would check voltage and compression first. Valves set at .004 to .006 inch, intake and exhaust, and from what I know, the closer to the .004, the better the compression release works.