Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

When I attempt to engage the cutting deck into operation by

When I attempt to engage the cutting deck into operation by pushing down on the lever that engages the blades it won't engage unless the deck is in the highest position and then when I lower the deck the spinning action of the blades begin to slow down dramatically. If I try to engage the spinning action when the deck is all the way down it won't engage at all.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

how long has it been since you last replaced your deck belt? how old is your mower?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The mower is about 4 years old. I would say I have never replaced the belt.

Thanks for this information. It is very likely that your belt has stretch, due to normal wear, over the years. Replacing your belt will be a good start toward resolving our problem. Many times you can get by with only replacing your belt, but in some cases you will also need to replace both spindle pulleys as well.