Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My toro 12-38xl Medellin 71180 will not engage transmission.

Customer Question

My toro 12-38xl Medellin 71180 will not engage transmission. Engine runs fine but cannot engage any gears - forward or reverse
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Engine is original. I think it is a 1996 model. Never happened before
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Also, the blade engagement lever is inop. Engine starts with blades engaged.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Transmission is driven by belt from engine to the top of the transmission. Is the top belt turning when the clutch is released and the transmission is in neutral? Will the tractor roll in neutral? Has either of the rear heels been off the tractor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Belt is moving when clutch is released and in neutral. Tractor does roll in neutral. Rear wheels have not been off.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just try to answer please. Phone call not necessary
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Have you raised the rear of the unit and checked each rear axle, to see if the axle can be spinning in the wheel from a sheared axle key? If belt is driving the transmission, and this is the geared transmission, it can have sheared axle key, or the input pulley may not be turning the input shaft. It splines on the input shaft.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

see question is still open, did you find problem?