Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Workman WD and have been having trouble with it

Customer Question

I have a Workman WD and have been having trouble with it running at times. Just had a new fuel pump put on. Took 3 loads to the woods, came back, it was running fine. On way to barn it just quit. Can't get it started. Have paid over $300 and it is doing the same thing all over again. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Just added pure gas today. It was almost empty when I got it back.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. Two places have worked on it. One thought it was the carb. and the last said it was the fuel pump, which is what I thought.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It has 2200 hours on it, otherwise it looks very good.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
NO
I don't want to call.

Toro Workman. And with carburetor, I assume this has the Kohler gas engine. With any engine, we need to determine if it has spark and fuel to the cylinders. Remove a spark plug wire, and attach a spare spark plug, then with the spark plug grounded, see if there is spark when cranking. If it has spark, it may be the fuel. Does this carburetor have fuel to it from the fuel pump when cranking? s there an electric solnoid in the carbuetor? Does it click open as you turn the key on and off?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know a new spark plug was put in and assume they checked all this. Two different people have worked on it and I thought it was fixed this time. It runs good for awhile and then it just quits. It sounds like gas isn't getting through. I try to start it and it goes about a foot and just stops. Sometimes after awhile I can get it going again. I am no mechanic so I don't know about all this stuff. It shouldn't be the fuel, I put fresh pure gas in it tody.

From what I see, this is a twin engine, and would have two spark plugs. That makes me think tha it has a fuel problem. Can be fuel pump not sending fuel to the carburetor, or it can be the fuel solenoid, keeping the fule from the main jet.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think my model just has one sparkplug but it has a new fuel pump, just put in. It sounded like it was running smoother and ran great for 3 trips to the woods to dump but it quit as I got to the barn to put it up.. I go thru high grass and weeds, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It has had a new sparkplug put in, also.

Manual shows to have Kohler CH23 twin cylinder engine.?? Do you see any information on your engine.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm trying to look in the booklet that came with it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can't find anything about the engine as far as name, etc.. I'm going to look at it and see if I can find anything. This will take a few minutes.

OK>

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't find a name of the motor. I'm just going to have to find somebody around here to check it out, again. Thanks for you help. Wish I could help you more to help me.

oK, I think you will find it is a twin Kohler, and it has a lack of fuel.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK. Appreciate your help. I'm going to talk to someone around here. I'll tell them what you said. Thanks

OK>Thanks1