Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 2014 Troy Built Horse Lawn Tractor. My PTO cable to

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Troy Built Horse Lawn Tractor. My PTO cable to the idler pulley broke and I replaced it with a new Troy built part. I also installed a new lower deck belt (my deck uses a 46" belt) before installing it I measured against the old belt. Same diameter as the original. I called one of your tecnicians as the belt was much too loose and would not drive the deck. I asked if there were other adjustments to tighten the deck belt but was told there is only the one right hand side (looking straight down on the
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Two weeks, I believe there is another for the left side idler pully is this correct?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I always have and have never had any difficulties prior to this with your Troy built or any MTD produtt
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Tell me if the right hand idler pully is adjustable
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 14 days ago.

Model number? Typically there is only one lever on the deck that moved when the cable is moved, Do you see the lever move the pulley on the deck when you engage and disengage the cable. Do this with engine OFF. Usual problem is belt off a pulley, or routed wring. But the lever on the deck may be sticking.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have checked, rechecked the belt routing it is exactly the way my manual has it pictured. Again my question is there any other adjustment to the left idler pulley. It mounts on a lever which has a very heavy spring holding it in a position that appears to be a falcrum of some sort. I cannot find it in the parts manual.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 14 days ago.

have to have your model number to see what you have! All decks are not alike.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.